Then I ran across the idea of dyeing eggs with powdered drink mix, namely Kool-Aid. Unfortunately I didn't have any on hand but did have a few packages of Wyler's and Flavor Aid. Because they are pretty much the same thing (unsweetened powdered drink mix) I figured they would work. So we gave it a try and experimented with several different colors (flavors).
- Pour each envelope into a separate cup and add 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup water, depending on how bright you want your eggs (less water for deeper color). We found that an amount between the two works well.
- Add cooled, hard boiled eggs one at a time.
- The eggs change color very quickly so check frequently until you get your desired color. Unfortunately yellow didn't show up well, you may have to use more than one packet to get the color you want.
- You can also mix the colors and make up your own new ones!
- Let air dry for a bit. Then refrigerate.