I just realized I have never posted any Christmas crafts on my blog. We do crafts every year, and every year we make advent calendars to help the kids count down to the big day. This year I wanted to do something
different crafty for the blog, oops I meant kids. So I decided to make a 3D calendar using materials only from around the house and the dollar store. You can make this tonight!
Here's what you need:
Here's what you need:
- 1 package of small disposable cups (plastic, paper or Styrofoam) or if you have them empty toilet paper or paper towel rolls cut into 2" or 3" pieces.
- paperboard or foam board or just cut up a cardboard box
- thick yarn, string or ribbon
- hole punch
- hot glue gun
- lots of glue sticks
- paper plate
- Sharpie marker
- good scissors and/or box cutter
- white school glue
- printer and ink
- printable numbers (I used these, but you can google "printable advent calendars" and find some you like).
- construction paper or old Christmas paper
- tissue paper (the kind you stuff in gift bags)
- 25 small trinkets ( I used candy, stickers, ornaments and small toys) that will fit in your cups
First things first, decided what shape to lay your cups (or tp rolls) out in. Make sure your piece of paperboard or foam board is big enough. (If you are using cardboard box, fold it down flat and cut it apart, so it lays flat.) Cut tissue into squares large enough to cover the mouth of your cups. Mine were approximately 3" x 3". Pour glue on paper plate. Dip rim of cup in glue lightly. Put in a trinket. Put one sheet of a tissue square so it covers the opening. Repeat for all cups, set aside to dry. Cut shape of choice using super strong scissors or box cutter. Cover shape in construction paper or gift wrap gluing it down as you go. If you want to hang your calendar, punch holes now and add ribbon to hang. Rearrange your cups or tp rolls, then start gluing them in place. (After much trial and error, hot glue gun was the best method for this craft). Let cool, remove excess glue strings and add numbers to your cups using glue stick to attach ( or you could just a Sharpie Marker). I chose to mix them up, but you can put them in order as well.
|My interpretation of a candy cane|
|My imitation Christmas tree|